View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 06:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Bloods are in but I confess I don't understand them all. I should preface this with since he had the November blood tests DB has put on 7kg. (2.2lb to 1kg)

Last blood tests in November 2016 were not fasting so not everything is comparable, in November all we were really worried about was his liver and his testosterone levels, the liver came back good except for a comment from men's health GP who said to DB you have a low grade infection going on somewhere, but at this stage nothing to worry about. The testosterone low and his injections moved from every 14 days to every 10.
Kidney
PSA 1.1, may be associated with an increased risk of prostatic neoplasia. (is prostate cancer genetic? Dad recently diagnosed) MSU required to establish if he has a urinary infection. I wonder if he's had a urinary tract infection for quite some time. His pee is always strong (I mean really strong) smelling. I thought he's not been drinking enough water so I am always telling him to drink more. When he's home he doesn't unless I remind him or give it to him.
Glucose fasting
6.0 Previous test December 2015 5.2. Further testing required if patient is not a known diabetic. GP says he must consider his diet & portioning. He pigs out on dried fruit & nuts, massive bowls of sugar laden muesli for breakfast and added yogurt & custard. I've been singing belly's gonna get ya for the last 2 months. Think GP comment has hit home.
Liver function
December 15 AST 25, November 16 AST 29. February 17 AST 35. A significant increase. I have not asked if he's been drinking, I believe he would have told me if he had. GP says he is carrying a lot of fat around his belly and it could be impacting his liver.
Cholesterol - Previous 4.5 now 5.0
Triglyceride - 1.7 now 1.1
HDL Chol - 1.1 now 1.2
Coronary risk ratio - 4.1 now 4.2
LDL CHol- 2.6 now 3.3

LIPID fraction
LDL Chol target <2.0 DB is 3.3
HDL Chol target >1 DB is 1.2
Triglyceride <1.5 DB is 1.1
GP told him he has to lose 7kg, control portioning, cut out sugar & processed foods. So no more muesli laden with custard etc for breakfast I do his dinner already & if home at the same time his lunch. But what he eats at work or when he's home & I'm at work is showing significantly on the belly!! I offered to portion out his breakfast for the next 4 weeks, he says that will be great, can you do it the night before? My comment, you've got to be kidding me, I already get up and do your animals for you at 4am, I'm not blinking well getting your breakfast ready the night before. 2 reasons, if I do it the night before he will eat it before bed, it will feed into his OCD routine even more.
Renal function
Urea was 4.8 now 4.4
Creatinine was 109 now 114
eGFR was 67 now 63 (November 2014 test was 73)
Sodium was 141 now 142
Potassium was 4.5 now 4.6
Chloride was 100 now 99
Bicarbonate was 27 now 29
Renal function eGFR calculated using CKD EPI from 21.05.13
Comments on collection 14.2.17 note eGFR units are mL/min/1.73m2. As age > 50yrs suggest microalbumin (Kidney Health Australia | Kidney Health Australia)

So in all, he could be pre-diabetic unless he takes steps to manage his diet. He may have a low grade infection ?? Urinary tract infection & he needs to lose at least 6kg. None of this tells me why he is so fatigued, depression causes fatigue I know. I did attempt to explain to him sugar highs and how the low is so much worse & debilitating at times.
I have suggested we walk to the gym rather than car it, walking is a pre warm up, cool down, gets in quality vitamin D and is cardio to help lose weight. Automatic response No, I do enough walking at work & walking aggravates my calf muscle. This could be true, it does still swell significantly on occasion, apparently a bloke from work has said the calf tear of the magnitude he had can take up to 6 months to heal, I think his has been longer than 6 months. So anyway, I drove us to the gym and parked as far away from the door as I could. If he's doing so much walking at work it would be showing on the belly...

He is obsessed with weight lifting, (tied to his OCD and from when as a child always told he's a little thin thing) it's all he does when I observe him at the gym, he says he does cardio and may well do at his work gym, but at ours never, just weights. He also consumes these whey supplement products like there is no tomorrow. Some supplements shop sales person sold him on the idea a few years back $300 a pop with 3 different products & he keeps going back to buy more. 1 is supposed to help muscle repair (doing a great job on the calf tear -not), another is to drink while at the gym & the 3rd I have no clue, but I have seen him ladle it also onto his muesli. Perhaps these supplements are full of sugar and are causing the rises to his liver as well. I don't buy into this muscle supplement crapola, it would be be different if he was a weight lifter for competition & it was his income but he is not. It's a waste of money, no one really knows what's in the stuff and even the men's health GP last year suggested he not take them.
Very confused, worn out and less than hopeful now, I can't see my quality in life improving while he is in and out of these deep funks, and by that I mean, I'm struggling to maintain the upkeep on the house inside & out and the animals. He comes home and is horizontal unless he goes to the gym or the shops. I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this up.

Last edited by PamelaJune; 02-24-2017 at 07:22 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (02-24-2017), kiwi33 (02-25-2017)