View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Insomnia is a big problem for many. It helps to try to identify the causes. For some, they are too sensitive to stimuli so they do not fall asleep because their brain is kept awake by the ticking of a clock or a bed that is not comfortable or cool feet or any such stimulation. Reducing those stimulations can help. If I get caught hear the clock or other sound, I put ear plugs in.

Some need nutrition supplements. Magnesium is a common need. Mag citrate or other magnesium (not mag oxide) an hour before bed is good.

You could also try a small dose of 5-HTP (50 to 100 mgs) an hour or two before bed. 5-HTP becomes serotonin and melatonin. The serotonin has a calming benefit. Do not take 5-HTP if you are taking normal dose SSRI unless your psychiatrists agrees.

Some need a boost to their blood sugar so a small snack of complex carbs and protein may help. For me cheese and crackers or a banana with peanut butter works well.

I also take gabapentin. It helps my nervous system 'let go' and reduces leg and body twitches.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote