View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Confused Disability - how did you decide it was time to let go of working in the near term?

Edit: The more relevant question may be, has anyone seriously considered or actually returned to work after being on disability for a period of time? How did you make that decision? Was the return to work successful?

Anyone who has seriously considered or went on disability, would you be willing to share how you came to that decision? What things did you consider? Who did you talk to? How did you think about what might change in the future? My situation is a little different in that I've been on LTD since July 2015 and know I cannot return to work today, but doctors are still hopeful things will improve so that I can return to work. My work just decided I am permanently disabled based on 2 letters from doctors stating I was temporarily disabled and 6 months of medical records supporting that I am making progress and may be able to return to work in the near future. I need to decide relatively soon whether to appeal this decision to remain on LTD and have my position available for me when I return (on permanent disability the position is no longer held for me). The process my employer has is a bit confusing, but LTD is 80% of salary for up to 18 months with health insurance and my position held for me while disability retirement (permanent disability) is 9% of the average of the last 3 years of my earnings (including the time I've been on LTD) without health insurance and my position filled by a new employee. So, the decision to appeal mostly hinges on whether I think I will be well enough to return to work by June 15, 2017, when LTD runs out and I'd have to go on disability retirement (permanent disability) or be fired regardless. I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth the hassle of appealing because I think there is a strong change I can return to work by June or letting it go (even though it's BS) because it would happen in June anyway (although, if I apply after June 3, 2017, I'd get another 3% of my salary) and would greatly appreciate any insight anyone has!

In way of background, I developed CRPS in July 2014 and a whole host of other medical and psychological issues since then. Things were horrendously bad for awhile, but have slowly improved and now, I have a bit more capacity to do things, though I still cannot keep up with all my day to day tasks and the like. There may an autoimmune component for me as I am now testing positive for autoimmune markers.

Last edited by maygin; 02-27-2017 at 03:50 PM.
maygin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
allentgamer (06-06-2017), Shay08 (02-28-2017)