View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 05:04 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachermom View Post
I went through that last summer. It was terrifying. I had the sensation that I couldn't get a deep breath, which made it impossible to run or exercise. This in turn, caused the other auto symptoms to increase.

After going to many docs, I finally saw one who said possibly silent reflux. I am on protonix 40 mg per day and I am very careful about what I eat. I have read that silent reflux can damage the vagus nerve, which causes these symptoms. It only takes a tiny amount of acid to cause silent reflux.

I am so much better now, but still have to be very careful about my day. I only drink water (try to get high alkaline water--if you can't a small amount of baking soda can be added to normal water). One half cup of coffee in the morning and that's it. Zero chocolate. Occasional red meat, mostly chicken, fish, and green vegetables.

I still get episodes of fluttering heart, constant burping, and dizziness---severe chest pain. But it is rarely and when I've eaten stuff not on the list, especially chocolate.

I am so sorry you are experiencing this. I thought I was going to die last summer and no one would know why.

I take magnesium, b12, vit. d, protonix, and drink coconut water every day---right after meals.

If you do indeed have silent reflux, it will take at least a month for your symptoms to get better----even when following the strict diet and taking meds. But it does get better.
Hi Teachersmom, this is exactly what is happening - I feel like I can't get enough breath and have to concentrate on expanding my lungs enough to get oxygen in. It's a real effort. I also got an episode of severe severe panic out of nowhere when I was eating dinner and had to work real hard to calm myself. It was without question a physiological response not emotional anxiety. It came on not long after the breathing and heavy heart feeling came on. It's so frightening. My upper digestion is doing something odd as well as I have alot of strange discomfort.

It feels so horrendous that I can't believe this is silent reflux. But I would believe this is damage to the vagus nerve. I've read this can cause a whole load of full body symptoms including heart rhythm. I don't know how they accurately diagnose reflux. Did you have a specific test to help diagnose the reflux? I'm having an endoscopy in two weeks buy I believe from past experience it won't show anything.

Today I had a really good day health wise so did a lot of exercise swimming with my son in the morning . By afternoon the heart/breathing /weakness issues became really severe and are going on now. They'd gone away so I feel the exercise may have triggered it again. I'm too afraid to sleep. I can't slow it down enough to actually fall asleep. I wondered whether it was exercise or the fact I had a large latte after the swimming. I do drink caffeine but feel that I should stop that with all this. I also eat lots of chocolate. My diet hasn't been great recently as I'm often too exhausted or have no appetite. I desperately want to know what I'm dealing with so I know what dietary changes to make. I've drank lots of caffeine before and been fine.

It's really comforting to know others have experienced this. Although it's awful and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Thank you for your message, it's a real comfort - and hopeful
JoannaP79 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote