View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 08:03 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catra121 View Post
Ok...so responding to your updated questions...has anyone returned to work after being on disability for while.

At one point...I was off work for about a year and a half. My RSD spread and I was in a wheelchair for about 6 months...couldn't stand or walk at all. I did a lot of physical therapy and eventually got myself back to a point where, with the aid of a walker, I could be on my feet for long periods of time and could function better. I was able to return to a job where I was on my feet for 9+ hours a day most of the time and did that for about 3 years...then I fell off a ladder at work and have been off since then trying to get myself back to that point. My goal was then (and is now) to get myself back to work. That goal keeps me focused on regaining function.

This time around...I am struggling more than before...mostly because the new pain since the fall has affected my shoulder and arm...and I cannot use the walker. Without the aid of the walker...I cannot be on my feet for any length of time (15-20 minutes tops before the pain elevates to a non-functional level). It's definitely been frustrating. I cannot even take care of myself most of the time and I also have a 2 year old...so any energy I have is usually spent taking care of her (she has to be in daycare 40 hours a week because I cannot take care of her on my own and someone always has to be with me to help care for her when her dad is working). I am currently awaiting approval for DRG stimulation and am hoping that will give me the functionality that I need to get back to things.

The situation is definitely worse now than it has ever been. Even in my worst times when I was off work before I always knew I would return. This time...I just don't know. I am hopeful that the DRG stimulation will work...but I don't know when that will happen. This is the first time I have even let myself consider the possibility that I may not be able to return to work. I think you just kind of know...deep down...when it's just no longer possible for you to work. I'm not quite there yet...as I said I am hopeful that this procedure will help...but if it doesn't then I just know I can't return to working as things are. I cannot take care of my own daily needs...how on earth could I work? Those are some hard truths to have to face...but there it is.

Anyway...not sure if that answers your question...but before I fell off that ladder at work I was really doing great. I was happy, functioning, doing well at my job, etc. I had to use the walker and was in pain...but life was better for me when I was working because I was happier and felt a great sense of accomplishment being at work. I loved my job, was good at it, and was doing well. I would love to be able to go back to that...but at this point if I am honest with myself I just don't know if it will ever happen. I haven't given up on it...but as the months drag on with no improvement I have had to face these hard questions and truths...and have had to be honest with myself about the reality of the situation.
Catra121, Thank you for sharing your personal struggle with us. Your courageous, realistic, and wise approach should be an inspiration to anyone dealing with similar issues.

Shay
Shay08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
catra121 (03-03-2017), CRPSbe (03-04-2017), Hotfoot53 (03-04-2017), Littlepaw (03-04-2017)