View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi bertharlen,

You have a bit of a different situation than the previous poster. You have bone loss due to teeth being extracted (likely due to periodontal disease) but also quite possibly mineral deficiencies, thus the osteoporosis. In addition to those factors, the Bisphosphonate drug, Prolia, that you are being injected with is also a contributing factor to the continued loss of your jaw bone and most likely one of the reasons the bone grafts have not integrated well. Did you dentist discuss the correlation between mineral deficiencies, Prolia and loss of jaw bone? It is not unusual for dentists to not discuss this with their patients, but they should know well enough that these are key factors and inform their patients of them.

Prolia and other similar drugs inhibit the body's natural ability to produce bone cells called Osetoclasts. These cells are necessary for the growth and healing of new bone because they break down and absorb the used bone tissue. When those cells are inhibited, the proper formation of new bone is limited and often non existent. Bone grafting material is a catalyst used to stimulate the immune system to produce different bone cells so that the material can integrate with those cells and form new bone. Because the Osteoclasts have been suppressed from the drug, the graft is not likely to do much but sit there.

With all of that said, if the dentist tries to place dental implants, the graft will not be solid enough to hold them. You don't have enough of your own bone to hold them either.

A lower denture often does not fit well. This is in part due to the lower ridge being narrow to begin with and due to bone recession from multiple tooth extractions being done over a period of time. In your case, you have the added issues with probable mineral deficiencies and bone drugs, such as Prolia. In someone who is healthy and not on Bisphosphonate drugs, had recent extractions but still had healthy jaw bone, fitting a lower denture would be less complicated and more successful.

There are oral surgeries that can be done to insert metal bars lengthwise into the mandible with individual implant abutments coming up through the gum to attach a denture onto. Unfortunately, due to your bone health and Prolia usage, you are not a good candidate for that type of surgery.

I know it is very hard, if not impossible, to eat with an ill fitting and uncomfortable fitting denture. Sometimes denture adhesive is helpful but it may have limiting benefits depending on the case. In certain cases, the denture is basically used for cosmetic purposes and not to really eat with. Which means that person would have to adapt to a new nutritious diet consisting of softer, less chewy foods.

I'm sorry to deliver this crappy news to you. Your dentist hopefully informed you of all of this prior to getting your hopes up. Still, it is not pleasant to be in your predicament but please, don't let this ruin your life. There are ways you can adapt to a new softer food diet and still present yourself with a pretty smile.

If you have more questions, please post them and I will try to help you.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertharlen View Post
Had a partial denture with eight teeth remaining on lower front. Those had to be removed a couple years ago and I received a full denture. This does not fit and is unusable due to floating around in my mouth.
My dentist had put Two bone grafts in the front after he removed the teeth and that it's been many months ago. He took a panoramic x-ray and said he didn't think there was enough bone in my lower jaw to do implants for snap on dentures! I do have severe osteoporosis and I am taking Prolia injections for this .

HELP! I cannot eat raw vegetables, salads, steak etc. I am only 68 years old and do not want to spend the rest of my life eating soup and mushy pasta, or rice!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote