View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 02:01 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I imagine it is very hard to imagine the upcoming medical appointment going well, when you are returning to the same clinic where you had difficult experiences. I believe it is very possible you could have a much more positive experience, winic1.

Just last week, I returned to the university hospital clinic where I was seen 25 years ago. My local doctors asked me to return for a new problem. Many years ago, I'd been seen by the head of the department, who is a nationally-recognized expert in his field. He was technically excellent, but a very difficult person. At times he unfairly insulted me and yelled at me, as well as other patients. He also constantly yelled at the other staff and doctors. The records from those days are still there, but that doctor has moved to a teaching hospital elsewhere. I didn't know how the appointment this week would go, but I hoped things would go well. The answer is that everything went beautifully. I knew the doctor I saw, because he'd been on staff before. He was extremely kind and eager to help. In fact, he bent over backwards, trying to do all he could to help me feel better.

I'm sharing this story to point out that two doctors in the same department really can have different approaches to their work. The doctor I saw yesterday was not afraid to challenge the senior doctor 25 years ago, for one thing; I was there when they were discussing my treatment and surgeries. I don't know if any of this will help you feel more at ease for your appointment, but to whatever extent it is possible, please try to see this visit as a good opportunity. I hope this new doctor will help provide better diagnosis and treatment for you.

Take care,
Erin
ErinBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (03-04-2017), FREDH (03-04-2017)