View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 06:36 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

I hope you all don't mind my constant babble but I am not going to AA, I am completely alone and I want no one to know that I drink and what I have done to myself. Family only knows that I have neuropathy but cause is unknown.

Being so early in sobriety I have hundreds of triggers in a given day. What keeps me sober is the horrific pain and weakness and then I think of this group and you have given me hope for some improvement in time. I have no illusion that I will ever return to normal function but any improvement will be a blessing. As I have said, the burning is sooooo much worse since not drinking. I would go back on the gabapentin and the atripyline, (don't remember how to spell it and too lazy to look it up), but I don't want to mask the pain because right now it is the only think keeping me sober.

Someone on this thread had said they read somewhere that neuropathy gets worse before better as the nerves regenerate, and they were looking for the link. I don't have the link but I too have seen that quoted by two different neurologists. I suspect I am too early in sobriety to be having any nerve regeneration but it is a valuable visualization and it makes the pain more tolerable.

I have also read that quitting smoking is important as well, as it will help with the circulation and blood flow to the damaged nerves. I tried yesterday but realized I was trying to do too much and I would end up a smoking drunk so I decided one vice at a time. Out of curiosity did anyone see improvement when quitting smoking?