View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

All the best for the EEG on Wednesday! That'll be good to have out of the way and hopefully all will be just fine with the results.

Does the school OT think your son is on autism spectrum?

My son has TS and is also on Autism Spectrum. I have read in the past somewhere of vocal tics and seizures, but I'd have to go hunting for that info..

There are other conditions besides tics ... your message reminded me of something Dr. Freeman has written about on his blog about Stereotypic Movement Disorder which can be confused with tics and with stereotypies. He describes the movements quite well below. When the situation is complex, it's often necessary to rule out other conditions. Unfortunately that can take time.

http://www.tourette-confusion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Stereotypic Movement Disorder can be confused with tics and TS. SMD is an official DSM-IV diagnosis, but it's rarely made. There are only 2 case series of children published (Tan et al., 1998; Mahone et al., 2004) . Repetitive movements usually start before age 2, and consist of intense patterns (like hand-flapping, pacing, running, bouncing, with or without vocalizations and facial grimacing) in longer runs than tics (can be up to 10-30 minutes). This can be stimulated by excitement or less often boredom. When older, they often say they like it, it's fun, they have to do it before they do something else, and that it stimulates their fantasies, yet they can usually be easily called out of it. It often looks very odd. They typically shape their patterns later so that the movements are done in private or within the family. The main problem is that if you're not familiar with it, you're likely to think it's an autistic spectrum disorder or Tourette's. The pattern itself can look indistinguishable from autistic stereotypies, but is much more prolonged than tics. Comorbidity (other disorders) are common, including tics, just to confuse everyone... Usually no treatment is indicated. A videotape of the pattern is very helpful for diagnosis. We are following 36 cases and will submit for publication. Through this blog we have already found 6 others!
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote