View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

No, but we used coconut oil lol I had shocking sunburn as a child. still remember it. Fall asleep in the shade of a palm tree and wake up with the sun blaring down.

There used to be this fellow on Surfers Paradise beach (sadly not long passed away) and he would actually spray the stuff on people when they arrived at the beach.

I regularly need to have spots (solar keratosis) removed but nothing too serious so far, like you. We've had really strong sun smart messages here for a couple of decades. The Slip Slop Slap campaigns.

Slip on a shirt,
Slop on the sunscreen,
Slap on a hat.

the thing these days though is that they're become so much more aware of the need for some Vit D in our bodies to prevent other really serious illnesses. Even here where I live, it's different amounts of time per day when we can get some exposure. Way down south in Tasmania for example, it's longer than it is up here where I live. I noticed the UV index has been reasonably low this week here, but normally for most of the year we tend to sit on Extreme UV danger. Hole in ozone and all of that.

If children here don't have a hat at school, they don't play in the yard or playground. When my children were swimming at school they also had to wear their sunshirts to swim. It's pretty serious business. It was like that 20 years ago. I don't think my son gets enough sunlight at all. My daughter does though. She's pretty sensible with the hats and the sunglasses most of the time, but other times she forgets and suffers the consequences. The only time she's ever burned has been since she was past 16. Up until then it's something that was well avoided.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote