View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 12:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default e-mail this thread to Fox Foundation

I began this thread by casually stating that PD is a form of prion disease, something I remember reading about. If one does a search of "PD and prion", a lot of information comes up.
Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases: The prion concept in relation to assembled Aβ, tau, and α-synuclein | Science
Transcellular propagation of protein pathogens, reminiscent of the spread of viruses, represents an unprecedented concept of disease. It is now known to extend beyond CJD, to include AD and PD, which are the most common neurodegenerative diseases. For all three diseases, there is a long prodromal phase, during which neurodegenerative changes develop and eventually lead to brain dysfunction. The interval between the formation of the first protein inclusions and the appearance of disease symptoms may offer a therapeutic window, provided sufficiently sensitive diagnostic techniques can be developed. Other protein pathogens, such as aggregates of TDP-43 and mutant superoxide dismutase 1, exhibit similar properties (134136).

The point I was trying to bring to this forum is that, to me, this is new and anti-rejection drugs for the hopeful treatment of PD could be a game changer even if it's not a cure. And along with Nilotinib maybe it could be piggy backed with the forthcoming trials on Nilotnib. They are both FDA approved drugs and should move a lot faster thru the trials.
I am going to forward this thread to the Fox Foundation and others.
ashleyk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (03-12-2017)