View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Help

I just did the research for you.

The body has checks and balances. Acetylcholine (ACh, or what I call muscle gas), goes to work to give you more muscle strength. When it is done with its job, Acetylcholinesterase (AChE) mops up what ACh is left.

Mestinon fends of AChE so that we can use ACh for a longer period of time. There are other things that do that, too, such as caffeine and Cimetidine. Combining too many of those things, however, can lead to a cholinergic crisis, where you get too much ACh.

A MG crisis and a cholinergic crisis may have similar symptoms, which can be dangerous. A patient may think they need more Acetylcholine, when they may have too much.

Many doctors are not aware of all of the drugs that have similar effects as Mestinon. They know of the drugs such as Atropine that do the opposite of Mestinon. They may not know that substances such as quinine in tonic water are similar to Atropine.

Taking Cimetidine for a long period of time will not be helpful. And it has other effects (like the potential deficiencies I mentioned) that will be bad for you.

Please, discuss the above with your neuro.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FREDH (03-14-2017), mrsD (03-13-2017)