View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 12:57 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Lightbulb MGUS and Infections

Hello - Hoping someone there might have information about MGUS and infections. Diagnosed with MGUS in 2014, I received 3 out of 4 rituximab treatments, but cancelled the last one as it seemed to be making my PN go into overdrive. In 2015, had 2 out of 4 treatments and stopped for the same reason. My IgM levels are quite low (0.2g/dL at last blood test) but SGPG levels are whopping, leading to nerve demyelination and quite severe sensory and motor neuropathy.

Beyond this concern (which of course is huge and exhausting), I have been having recurring UTIs for over a year. They are particularly wearing, largely due to the companion courses of antibiotics. My urologist has recommended prophylactic antibiotics at a low dose, but I would much prefer to avoid that. Still, given the past 8-10 months, on ab for a week nearly every month, perhaps it is worth some investigation and thought.

At any rate, does anyone know if the B-cell depletion by rituximab could have left me somewhat susceptible to infections? I am a 65 year old female. Very recently, I cut my working hours from 40/wk to 24/wk and am hoping this might reduce my stress; allow me more time/energy to put into attempting to recover some functionality, and perhaps improve my body's ability to fight infections. Poor wee hen works so hard!

I am open to suggestions or advice if anyone out there has any knowledge of this problem. Many thanks in advance!
thuja is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote