View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Update
What I’ve done and am doing: I stopped B12 for a while until about two weeks ago, when I started with Jarrow methylcobalamin. The previous one seemed to give me indigestion but Jarrow is working well. I reintroduced magnesium and calcium daily but I realise now having read around on the PN forum that a bad ratio of calcium to magnesium may make PN and circulation worse. I have changed my supplements to separate magnesium and calcium and I will increase magnesium as I need that to assist in many aspects of my health. I also tried fish oil (omega 3) for a week and I noticed my PN getting worse, so I slowed that down to once a week.

What I feel: PN is back with hot hands (sometimes feet), cold hands (which could be due to poor circulation but I exercise and eat well but I could always exercise more), and chilblains on my fingers during cold weather. In addition, I've noticed a clubbing of my middle fingers' nails, and on one index finger. I've never had heart problems and my breathing seems okay (but for being affected by anxiety when I am not careful).

I've had what some would call cyanosis in my hands and feet for most of my adult life when I am cold and I think when I am anxious (which makes sense). Although I would say it looks more like lots of various colours with red and purple being predominant, the latter appearing more around any wounds or scars I may have. The worsening PN may be due to increased stress and anxiety at the moment but I guess I am here to rule out other causes, which seem more likely or at least a significant part of it.

I think I noticed the clubbing in the last month or so but it became more noticeable in the last few weeks when the new nail that's growing seems much 'lower' or flatter than the older, raised one. The clubbing is subtle but for my right hand's middle finger, which has a large bump. There are no ridges or indentations (like Beau's lines), and something I noticed in this newer nail near the root, which is flatter, is that I think I see a moon appearing.

I read about moons/crescents disappearing in people with B12 deficiency, something I have confirmed with a blood test previously. I am hopeful that this change in the nail could be a healthy root coming out. Since taking B12 I have felt better in many subtle ways but perhaps it's all placebo or self-limiting symptoms. None of my nails have moons, but for the right middle finger, which I can't verify yet but it really does look white at the root with about a 1mm depth.

My plan: I am calling a doctor tomorrow who is likely to help me get all the blood tests I might need to get to the bottom of my B6, PN, and circulation problems. I know that my non-autoimmune hypothyroidism and fluoxetine may be to blame for poor circulation, PN, chilblains, and perceived cyanosis in the cold. However, I recall getting cyanosis and chilblains as a young adult, long before I took fluoxetine or was diagnosed with non-autoimmune hypothyroidism (which I doubt I had that long ago).

I will also enquire about getting a gene test for the mutation relating to B6 and B12. I will keep taking methylcobalamin at 5microg per day on an empty stomach until 3 days prior to my blood test, which could be a couple of weeks away. I will then recommence at 1microg per day until the results come out – then go from there.

Questions
Does anyone have any experience with a bump on their fingernails in relation to B12?
Has anyone else found that moons return to their nails or become more prominent with B12 supplementation? I read that the moons disappear last on the thumbs, mine have been gone for some time. I can't recall the last time I had crescents/moons on my nails; it will be at least several years ago if not longer.
Kittygiggles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (03-20-2017)