View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 12:56 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi MelodyL

Glad to hear your recovery is progressing. As to why you can't walk normally without a walker or cane I'm guessing that it's a case of those muscles that have been 'rested' during your accident and post-surgical recovery now have to learn how to work again and rebuild their function and strength. It's only been just over 3 months since you were injured so you're doing really well considering what you've been through.

As to the person's comment about 'being afraid' to walk normally there may be a subconscious instinct that your body is not ready to support itself unaided. This should improve with time and practice. One thing I found after having a torn cartilage in my knee was that my leg instinctively wanted to turn inwards which altered my gait. When I became aware that this was happening I included exercises that specifically made me focus on keeping my foot straight (going up and down stairs). Doing this repeatedly corrected the problem.

By being conscious of how your whole body is moving you may find small things to work on that may help: for example - notice how your head and shoulders are positioned when you walk either with a cane or walker - are you tilting them forward - this often happens with walking aids - and then are you carrying the same position when you walk without the aids - this may affect your sense of balance. If this is happening try to remember to keep your head and shoulders up.

Please be kind to yourself - you're doing brilliantly - as well as working on your physical recovery make sure you take some time to just relax and do something you enjoy - not being stressed will help restore your confidence and that will help you walk better.

Take care
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (03-20-2017)