View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default Neuropathy from stretching Achilles tendon?

Has anyone ever heard of neuropathy from stretching the Achilles tendon?

Back in November I woke up with numb toes on my right foot and it progressed to the bottom of my foot within a few hours. I’d been treating achilles tendonosis for over a year at the time. That night I was wearing a boot meant lightly stretch the tendon. I’d just had a tick bite 3 days earlier from a visit to a deer lease in East Texas. So I ended up with 7 days worth of antibiotics as a precaution. My numbness lasted for several days, but mostly went away.

It’s never fully gone away. The tips of my toes on my right foot have less feeling. I get some tingling in both feet nearer my toes. I stopped wearing the night boot after this all started. I recently went back to the achilles doctor and he seemed to think it might be possible that all my stretching (I’ve done lots) and treating “may” have caused an issue with the nerve. But he looked a bit perplexed. Suggested stretching as little as I felt like I could get away with. Suggested trying B12. I’m doing all that.

I notice more tingling/numbness when I first get out of bed in the morning in both feet. This makes me think it is achilles related because the achilles tightens up at night a bit and it usually takes some walking around to make it feel better.

One thing that does not fit. My finger tips on my right hand have less feeling the on my left. At first I thought it might be in my head. It’s a slight difference. I mentioned that to the first doc that treated me for Lyme precaution and he mentioned carpal tunnel. I guess that is possible and I didn’t notice it until this other came.

So I’m looking at this as possible causes right now:
  • Stretching achilles, carpal tunnel in fingers
  • Lyme
  • Something else

For reference, I’m 49, a healthy weight, fairly active. Had all my vitals and glucose stuff checked 6 months ago and was in good shape.

Thanks!
harryman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote