View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi again,
I'm so glad to hear you had such a great day at the beach!

Just wanted to show you some information about Scarlet Fever. I know that is in the past now, but if she did have Scarlet Fever and her tics started after that, it's important that the doctor treating her now knows about the untreated Scarlet Fever from a few years ago. Not everyone who has a GABHS infection will go on to have problems or complications such as described below, but it's important to know about it.

I hope all goes well with going back to school. That must be only a few weeks or so away now, is it? I'm in Australia and our school year is different. Does your daughter have any other conditions as well as her tics, or does she only have the tics?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000974.htm
Quote:
Scarlet fever is a disease caused by an infection of the throat with group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal bacteria (strep throat).
Quote:
The treatment of scarlet fever is the same as the treatment of strep throat -- antibiotic therapy to eliminate the bacteria that causes this infection from the throat. This is crucial to preventing rheumatic fever, the most feared complication of strep throat and scarlet fever
This is the condition that my son was diagnosed with at age 5. Later at age 10 it was changed to Tourette's Syndrome and some other things. He'd had an untreated strep throat and then some weeks later developed some unusual movements of the body. It's all very complicated and a long story, but eventually they checked his heart and took him off long-term antibiotics because his heart was fine. In his case, they had him taking antibiotics to prevent future episodes of GABHS so that he would not get Rheumatic Fever again. It wasn't actually to stop the movements/chorea, it was to prevent further episodes of RF.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001358.htm
Sydenham's Chorea (St Vitus Dance)

EDITED TO ADD: hermom, I'm not posting this info. to scare you. That would be the very last thing I want. It's highly likely that the info. about the scarlet fever and the Chorea has nothing to do with your daughter's tics. I'm just posting it because of her history with the scarlet fever and the onset timing of the tics. It's just something that not many people are aware of in this day and age with the medical care we are all able to get. Unfortuntely, sometimes things are missed. I'm just pointing this out for that reason, as I said, not to frighten you or anything. If you've read up on Tics then you'd know immediately if any of this other info. fits or not, but as I said earlier, it is worth mentioning the untreated scarlet fever to her present doctor if she/he is not aware of it, that's all.

http://www.wemove.org/syd/
SC info from WeMove

Last edited by Lara; 07-14-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote