View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 02:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default To thank this kind, gracious, curious, determined, fearless group

Greetings to all of those whose lives have been impacted by Parkinson's Disease who belong to this group. I will always be thankful for the day I discovered the old braintalk forum in 2004, just after my husband was diagnosed. It is with much sorrow that I now post that my husband has lost his fight against Parkinson's Disease. And a fight it was for both of us during these 13 years. I would like to share the obituary one of our children wrote for their dad. As with each of you who have PD, he was so much more than the disease.I thank you all for sharing your knowledge, insight, empathy, fellowship, and friendship. I will continue to research the topic of Parkinson's disease, and support those foundations searching for a cure. I hope with all my heart that the cure is soon found. Madelyn Levy (Olsen)
RICHARD LEON LEVY
DOB October 24, 1943
Richard was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, to Marion (Freiberg) and Leon Edwin Levy.
He attended University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, graduating in 1969. After years of post-doctoral education in Atlanta, Cincinnati, and San Diego, Richard practiced internal medicine and oncology in San Diego, before returning home to Cincinnati. He founded an integrated oncology practice, Oncology Hematology Care (OHC), of which he remained President until 2013. Under his leadership, OHC grew to be one of the largest private cancer practices in the country. Richard loved working with all of the physicians, nurses, technicians, and employees at OHC, Jewish Hospital, and the many other hospitals he worked at over the years.

Richard cared for many people with varying stages of cancer over his thirty years of medical practice. He believed passionately that the care he rendered helped people. He was a pioneer in community-based medicine and believed in serving patients in whatever community needed services most. His vision and leadership helped change how cancer care is delivered.

With seemingly boundless energy, Richard had many interests. He loved running whitewater rivers in the West and Northwest, and was passionate about his nature photography, which brought him all over the world.

Richard had a genius for friendship, and he cherished the relationships he built with his friends over the years. Their support throughout the progression of his illness meant the world to Richard and his family.

Richard loved his family more than anything in the world. He adored Madelyn, his wife of forty-six years. They met in 1968 at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, and their life took them to Cincinnati, Del Mar, CA, and back to Cincinnati, where they made their home and raised their family. After his diagnosis, Madelyn devoted her time to lovingly care for Richard.

Most of all,Richard loved his children. He indulged them, nurtured them, counseled them, protected them, worried about them, laughed with them, had loads of fun with them, was devoted to them, and loved them passionately. He could often be found on the golf course with John and David, at Liz’s horse shows, or on the ski slopes with all three of them. And his kids loved him as much as he loved them. Like their mother, his children were devoted to him, helping care for Richard throughout the progression of his disease, and spending as much as they possibly could with him.

After battling Parkinson’s Disease with a vengeance for over twelve years, Richard passed away peacefully on March 22, 2017 surrounded by his family. The family would like to thank the many doctors, nurses, and home health aides who helped care for Richard over the years, as well as his partners who were so supportive of him. We were blessed to have these individuals supporting and caring for Richard and us.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Michael J. Fox Foundation.

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aftermathman (03-29-2017), anon72219 (04-02-2017), Bergamotte (04-06-2017), bluesfan (03-28-2017), Bogusia (03-26-2017), curem (03-26-2017), eds195 (03-26-2017), ger715 (03-27-2017), girija (04-04-2017), jeffreyn (03-26-2017), johnt (03-26-2017), Kitty (03-27-2017), kiwi33 (03-26-2017), lab rat (03-29-2017), moondaughter (03-27-2017), RLSmi (03-27-2017), ScottSuff (03-27-2017), shcg (03-27-2017), Tupelo3 (03-26-2017), VICTORIALOU (04-05-2017)