Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 05:31 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

I don't know what I'm doing here😬😬 I'm trying to reply but don't know if I'm in the right spot. Thank you mark for your input. My husband has been taking care of the cooking and just wants me to rest. But he works hard all day and he can't keep up with everything. I'm very OCD and need things a certain way. I had a breakdown the other day. Something happened and I got enraged when my family left the house amess. I was screaming and slamming things. It was terrifying. I had some emotion regulating problems before my fall but they have gotten worse. My poor children 😞

I have been on quite the cocktail of medicine for years now. I take clonazepam for anxiety four times a day, Gabapentin 1800 mg a day for chronic back problems and post surgery for my back, and Prozac 80 mg a day for depression binging and purging, anxiety, and a few other things. I've tried so many medications throughout my life I am very sensitive to all of them this is the only cocktail that seems to work for me I will look on the sticky thread about supplements to take because believe me when I tell you I want to feel normal again

My husband took me to the grocery store yesterday and I thought I could handle leaving the house but as soon as we got in the car I had a panic attack in the light bothers my eyes so that didn't work out

I do take Imitrex as needed for migraines which I get every month so I try and save those for the really bad migraines. The headaches I'm having now are just random sharp shooting pains in different spots all over my head I just take Tylenol for those I've only had to take Imitrex three times.

It just feels like I can't put 1 foot in front of the other I can't complete a task I did have a neck brace on for a week but the spine Center cleared me and my neck is doing fine now. Just a tad tender.

I live in the village in Vermont and everybody knows each other when I left the house yesterday our neighbor pulled into the driveway at the same time and I got dumbfounded and couldn't speak to her. Thank God I had sunglasses on and my husband was driving.

Well I hope I'm writing this in the correct spot I'm just so confused and scared the things that we or I normally do on a daily basis like cleaning and laundry and vacuuming and driving are things that I would do anything to do right now but I can't do them. OK this is all over the place I'm sorry but thank you for responding have a great day QUOTE=Mark in Idaho;1239416]Mommabear77,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. I'm sorry to hear about your fall. At 10 days post concussion, you are still in concussion recovery. Most recover spontaneously in the first 3 to 6 weeks. Those that don't are considered to have PCS. So, you have time to recover without concern for long term PCS.

It does not sound like you have been able to take a break and give your brain some time off. You need to because it is important to recovery. Caffeine is not good for recovery. Try to limit you caffeine to one serving a day.

Do you have a history of migraines? Chronic headaches for an extended period after a concussion is not uncommon. Many use ibuprofen or acetaminophen or even acetaminophen and aspirin combined. You should save the Imitrex for the strong headaches. Headaches have a variety of causes. The most treatable are those from lack of quality sleep and from subtle upper neck injuries.

Your symptoms sound to me like you are not getting good sleep. Sleep dysregulation is a common problem that can trigger some of your symptoms. You should try to maintain a routine of 7-9 hours of sleep with minimal short napping if it does not interfere with getting to sleep at night. (It usually does) Magnesium (citrate, or other non-mag oxide versions are best) an hour before bed. Some do well with melatonin. Amitriptyline in low doses (10 to 30 mg) can help with insomnia and night time headaches when taken an hour before bed. Ask you doctor about it.

A chiro who uses gentle neck techniques or has upper cervical chiro training or a physical therapist who has those gentle skills can be helpful. You are not needing serious range of motion rehab from a PT quite yet. Rather, some gentle traction and mobilization to help the spasms settle down and inflammation heal. A big part of healing a subtle neck injury/strain is good posture during sleep and rest. Minimal pillow lift when on your back and appropriate pillow height when on your side to hold the neck straight.

I understand how 3 kids and the other duties you have right now feel like they rule. But, you need to give your brain a break. AND, others need to understand that your need to give your brain a break. Is there anybody you can call on who can help you like you were helping your friend ? Taking the daily schedule strain off will be a big help. Quieting your home atmosphere will help, music, TV blaring, voices, etc. Taking the 'hurried' out of the day will help. Calming activities during the day can be good. Knitting, painting, crafts, scrap booking, and things that do not have a time crunch can keep the brain mildly active without causing stress.

Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) can be annoying but there is no treatment that works. It is best to try to ignore it. Some use background sounds to help hide it. I've had tinnitus for decades. If I pay attention to it, it can get very loud. If I ignore it, it quiets but does not usually go away.

Many find benefit from a vitamin regimen like posted in the Vitamins sticky at the top.

These ideas should give you a start in your recovery and understanding. Please feel welcome to post or ask anything. We have heard it all.

My best to you.[/QUOTE]
Mommabear77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote