View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Your colleague's husband does not get a concussion from the loud noises. He suffers a relapse of symptoms from the over-stimulation from the sound. Many of us have sensitivity to sound. That is called hyperacusis. Some struggle with multiple voices. Some are sensitive to bright lights.

In your case, you have developed a vestibular disorder from your concussion. A vestibular therapist should be able to help you understand it. You may benefit from the Epley Maneuver. There are crystals in the inner ear that can get dislodged that the Epley Maneuver can help move back into proper position. Some have success following YouTube instructions on doing at home Epley Maneuver movements.

I bet you were working overhead with your head tipped back. That can also strain the upper neck. The body strain of fighting with the 2x6 can cause muscle tension in a lot of areas. This can be problematic.

It would help if you got some ear protection. Foam earplugs or ear muffs. Mack's makes good foam ear plugs. Many of us rely on them.

And NO. It is not possible to get a concussion without making contact with your head except for an event where the head is shaken violently for an extended period of time or a sudden collision stop in a car where the seat belt restrained the body and the head whipped back and forth or in a severe body check in hockey where the head got the same whipped action.

" I really find that long intense conversations and working for long periods of time on the computer which requires lots of concentration gives me a very tired feeling, headache, pressure in the head and confusion."

These symptoms will likely continue unless you can find a way to moderate this task load to avoid hitting the threshold level that causes symptoms. Taking breaks from the intense computer time will help. I bet you exhibit signs of over-doing it long before the headaches and fatigue set in. Maybe a need to focus harder, reread a line of text, etc. These are common signs the brain is struggling. Pushing through these points usually delays recovery.

I doubt you retain much information from those intense conversations once you start to hit your fatigue threshold. When the brain is struggling, it has poor retention.

Your doc was correct in suggesting taking time away from work but missed on directing you to reduce the stress load of your work for a few weeks or longer. It will help if you can moderate your stress/effort level at work and home.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote