Thread: 3.5 Year Update
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 3.5 Year Update

Hi guys,

It's been about 3.5 years since the first of my three concussions that I sustained back-to-back-to-back during the fall of 2014.

My recovery in the first 2.5 years was full of a lot of decline, but fortunately, with a few improvements. I spent loads of time overstimulated, which caused me to decline even more.

Things started to change because of three specific things: Syntonic phototherapy, Dr. Lewis's Omega-3 Protocol (as well as other supplements), and neuro-optometric rehabilitation (vision therapy) with a behavioral optometrist.

Omega-3s...

I had been taking a gram or two a day of mediocre fish oil for a while, but when I started Dr. Lewis's protocol, within 30-60 minutes I temporarily gained about 10% of my brain function back. Dr. Lewis believes this is due to the anti-inflammatory and blood-vessel relaxing effects of EPA (an omega-3) that allows "blood to flow deeper into the brain." I still feel this effect when I take the 5 grams. My brain performs and tolerates activity much better.

I just ordered some Nordic Naturals triglyceride form fish oil, and am hoping to see even more benefits. I'll post my results later.

Syntonics (syntonic phototherapy)...

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of research behind this. What is known is that it helps with visual field loss, something I had no-idea affected me until tested. I've done retesting, and it's pretty simple: when I do syntonics (in moderation) my visual field improves. When I don't do syntonics, my visual field stays the same and in some areas gets worse, showing that I am symptomatic.

My optometrist suspects syntonics affects neurotransmitters, specifically serotonin, but admitted it's still something we don't know a ton about.

I've been following guys like Dr. Mercola and Dave Asprey and they're super big fans of good light, lights, and lighting. There is something to this syntonics. I must say that like anything in excess, it's not good. I overdid syntonics a few times and became super sensitive to light and screens and had to stay in a dark room most of the day.

I'm apart of Facebook brain injury forums and have talked with my vision therapist and optometrist a bit about syntonics. It sounds a bit woo-woo to some, including myself to start, but it works really well for a lot of people. I'd say the biggest thing that it helps me with is just tolerating stimulus better, which results in more productive time and less rest time.

Vision therapy...

I did some extensive testing and came up with three problem areas: convergence insufficiency, accommodation dysfunction, and poor visual memory. We've been targeting those things in therapy and with at-home exercises.

It really helps. Reading has been a struggle since the injuries, but I'm getting a lot of stamina back. There were periods where a page of a book overstimulated me and took two hours to recover from.

Diet, exercise, and a good support system have also been huge for me.

I still have a ways to go, but I'm finally making good consistent progress. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please reply with a message.

I started a blog (classic line lol), which is still in the works, but I'm going to feature book summaries, success stories, and a scientific approach to looking at helping those with brain injuries, including myself.

Thanks again to all on here (especially Mark) who have helped me on this journey.

-Jake
JBuckl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote