Thread: New to Forum
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 06:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have had CRPS for almost 8 years now...and no doctor has ever had me do a bone scan. That is not an appropriate or recognized way to diagnose CRPS...merely one diagnostic test that some doctor's use to assist in their diagnosis. I'm not looking at the chart now...but you should be able to find it with a search...but there are 4 basic categories of symptoms that doctors use as the criteria for diagnosing CRPS. You do not need to have all symptoms in all categories (we are ALL different)...but generally doctors are looking for symptoms in 3-4 categories (again...not all symptoms in those categories...sometimes just one). It's extremely hard to diagnose and believe me...most of us WISH it was as easy as one test confirming or ruling out CRPS...but that is simply not the case. If a doctor believes that...then you are better off seeing someone else because they are clearly not knowledgeable about CRPS.

It does sound like it COULD be CRPS...but here's the thing...CRPS is often a diagnosis of exclusion. That means other things need to be ruled out first before a diagnosis of CRPS can be confirmed. If a doctor suspects CRPS then they should tread carefully and treat it as if it were CRPS...but should still search for other causes as well because ALL the symptoms of CRPS can be caused by other things (many of which are more easily treated).

I myself have dealt with work comp (my CRPS was a result of a work injury as well)...and it can be a total nightmare to get treatment and approvals for things...keep seeking proper treatment if you can. Also...if you haven't done so already...consult and attorney NOW to advise you on how to proceed. I am currently using my private insurance because work comp is denying treatment and approvals. I need treatment and if work comp is denying things then I am not letting myself deteriorate in the mean time. I had to provide my doctor's office with a letter from work comp stating they are denying treatment and then they were able to submit to my regular insurance. If, at trial, it is determined that work comp needs to pay...then they will have to reimburse me my out of pocket expenses and pay back my insurance company as well.

Every state is different though and has different rules on what doctors you can see when, etc. This is why it is so important to consult an attorney. Do NOT take work comp representatives at their word...it is VERY common for them to lie. When I was experiencing spread and all sorts of other crazy symptoms (blurry vision, poor balance, hallucinations, etc)...the work comp adjuster actually told me maybe I was pregnant and that was causing my symptoms. Seriously...I was not then but I can say with confidence now since being pregnant that none of my pregnancy symptoms included the intense burning pain, blurry vision, poor balance, hallucinations, etc. Not that it matters much...but that's how ridiculous dealing with work comp can be. Protect yourself and your rights by seeking the advice of an attorney and IF you already have one...use them as a resource to help you navigate things because the laws can be really hard to navigate on your own and all it takes is one mistake for them to be able to deny coverage.

Sorry this was so long...hang in there. There is hope...I was doing VERY well living with my CRPS until I fell off a ladder a year and a half ago which caused everything to get worse. Good luck with everything and know we are here for support if you need it. I can't even begin to tell you how helpful this forum has been for me. Many of the things I do to help me get through each and every day is based on tips from others in this forum...things that do not require prescriptions or that doctors will think to recommend (because they aren't necessarily treatments...more like little things that make life easier). So please keep us posted on how you are doing and if you need anything. I truly believe that the only people who can really understand CRPS are those who have it...so it's been of great help to me to have a place where I can come and get support from and help support others who have this condition.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (04-03-2017), ger715 (04-06-2017), RSD ME (04-04-2017), Shay08 (04-03-2017), zette67 (04-27-2017)