View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

First off.... Is this only in the morning? Any attacks during the day? If only in the morning, I'd get an allergy pillow cover... they work really well. I bought ours at WalMart... $10.00 for the deluxe ones.

There are several drugs (some OTC) that are adrenergic in that they are vasoconstrictors.

1) Sudafed (OTC).. real Sudafed you have to sign for.
On the shelf sudafed is phenylephrine and a close second.

2) RX...Albuterol comes in a tablet form. This may be a bit stronger than Sudafed. need an RX from a doctor.

3) if you have post nasal drip issues, which are worse at night, then using guaifenesin tablets or liquid during the day. Walgreen's has a generic tablet that is convenient, and there is always Robitussin (the plain original one). This helps move mucus all thru the respiratory system, and may help if you dry out during the night. (mucus thickens then) Make sure you drink alot of water to help this. I have an container of ice water at night on the bedside table and sip it if I wake up dry during the night. You don't need much of this at a time to hydrate your throat.

4) Afrin nasal(original) is also decongestant. Some may be absorbed and get into the blood stream.

5) herbal ephedra -- you have to be careful with this and not go overboard. Best to take your blood pressure if you try this. Monitor before and 1 hr after taking.

If you suspect silent reflux, you could try AlkaSeltzer Gold (this is not the one with aspirin). I find one tablet of this late at night
helpful as it blocks acidosis and keeps my feet from burning, too. They come in foil packets of two so I only use one and save the other for the next night. This neutralizes the excess acid from dinner in the stomach and is milder than drugs, but works well for me.
You have to get this specific AlkaSeltzer online. I get mine from Amazon. I have come to believe that many PN symptoms may be due to a mild acidosis .. at least mine are. I started the Gold when my knee went out recently. It was a quick turnaround from agony to its current mild stiffness. Use as little as possible of this so as not to mess up your acid/base system. The AlkaSeltzer gold is used by some doctors to break allergic reactions, that they elicit in the treatment room, mostly for children. After they give an elimination diet, they may provoke the patient in the office where they can see reactions first hand. They used to use a product called K-salts but AlkaSeltzer Gold is a close second formula.

You can discuss with your doctor a trial of prednisone, this time, a low dose daily like 5mg or 2.5 mg or every other day.
These low doses do work for some patients, and since higher doses don't agree with you, these lower ones might just work enough to allow you some comfort times.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Healthgirl (04-04-2017), janieg (04-06-2017), tnthomas (04-04-2017)