View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Flicker,

I have worked in practices where every patient who had a local anesthetic injection that day, received a phone call the evening of their appointment. Other offices only called when there was surgery done.... and others did not call at all.

My personal opinion is that all patients who meet any or all of the following criteria should receive a follow up call from the dentist or a knowledgeable office clinician:

**Anyone that had taken or been administered medication for anxiety and/or sedation.

**All oral surgery patients.

** Overly anxious and/or had an upsetting dental appointment.

** Patients with complicated dental procedures or those that received a removable appliance to give reassurance or reiterate wearing/cleaning instructions.

Usually the phone call is a few minutes and just enough to put a patient at ease. It can also reveal a potential problem and nip it in the bud before it becomes worse than it needs to be.

Again, feel free to express your concerns to the office manager, the assistant/ nurse and even the surgeon. Not nastily or with aggression but just out of concern for yourself!

Hope your dental surgeries, other than these issues, are going okay for you.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicker View Post
Thank you Bryanna I'd like to think the no call was just an oversight but this is my 4th surgery by this doctor (all others were with local only, no IV)and I've never received a f/u call the next morning, so I think it's the norm for them. Too bad, I wish they had better policies. Thank you for your input it's much appreciated.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote