View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

My hubby had 3 antibiotics because he was bitten by a spider and didn't notice and it became a cellulitis and had to go to the ER for an IV.

Since then, I made him finally quit smoking his pipe... no easy task. Then the GI stuff started over the winter. We have been trying all sorts of stuff. Probiotics gave him diarrhea. His usual foods gave him monster gas. He had bouts of terrible nausea which was unpredictable. Metamucil gave him more gas.

But we finally found out what works... Benefiber. It has been a long haul to get to the comfort zone he likes now.

The AlkaSeltzer Gold has mannitol in it... if you take two a day you might be getting the laxative action of mannitol?

I am taking one tablet of AlkaSeltzer original in the morning and one tablet of AlkaSeltzer Gold at night. When I took 2 Gold at once I did get upset GI wise... but that was only once. I am super sensitive to being loose anyway. So I only use one Gold now at night.

The Equate version of Alka Seltzer original does not have the mannitol in it That is the brand I use. The mannitol I guess is to block the saltiness taste of the Gold ingredients.

Your option therefore is to try just sodium bicarb alone when you want more bicarb. I am still doing well with no more burning at night on my current dosing. Because I have the joint pain of arthritis, I still want "some" aspirin, so I use the AlkaSeltzer original, but I don't want so much aspirin that 2 tablets provide.

I put this link up on another thread so incase you haven't seen it there here it is again:

People of the Acid: Acidosis and Pain - Pain Online

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote