View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 08:55 AM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Think sons CRPS has spread??

I am new here and want to give a little background first,

My son was severely injured in work. He had major crush injuries with a lot of surgeries. He would complain about his foot, especially after most of the many surgeries, even though his foot was not operated on. They did all sorts of tests and just figured it had to do with positioning and being non-weight baring. Months later after being discharged he went back in for another surgery. He walked in and came home on crutches because of his foot (again, foot not involved in surgery) 3 days later his PM dr diagnosed him with CRPS, that was 14 months ago. She started him on Lyrica with immediate improvement. Months later slowly weaned him off. Whenever he was scheduled for a surgery since then he would start on the Lyrica 3 days prior. In December he ended up hospitalized with an infection and 2 surgeries. His other foot, (left) started hurting but not too bad. Then in January after the death of my mother-in-law his left foot again started worse than December but not crippled. Right on the Lyrica and didn't really get worse.

2 1/2 weeks ago he went to bed fine. When he got up he said his left foot was really hurting again. Started on Lyrica immediately. He was limping and tried to keep positive. Next day he woke up and basically crippled. Couldn't put any weight on it, hurt to touch and very swollen couldn't put shoe on. He continued meds. PM wasn't available but called and told him to go to ER. Xray showed nothing which we knew, they gave him antibiotics and sent us home. Next day we called PM because pain seemed to be going up calf. She sent him for an ultra-sound to make sure no blood clots and gave him an anti-inflammatory and increased dosage of Lyrica. 3 days later we saw her and she increased the Lyrica again. There has been some improvement to where he can walk without crutches. It takes a lot to get going in the morning but if he does too much, by that I mean stand or walk for an hour or two to do things around the house he ends up in pain with foot elevated again.

He is now thinking it may not be the CRPS, I disagree. There was nothing to bring on the flare-up but there was also nothing that he did to cause this. What are your thoughts?
MrsKnot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Littlepaw (04-12-2017)