View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 12:08 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Nick,

If you can't do 20 then don't do 20...do what you can and nothing more until you can comfortably do more. It took me 2 years to be able to return to similar exercise levels prior to. My accident.

In regards to friends and social settings. Stop comparing yourself to your past...it will only serve to tear you down. I was a very social person before my accident, not as much now. I sort of came to the realization I talked to much and to readily and learning to be quiet and listen has turned out to be a pretty decent change.

There are a million different ways to communicate you are present and attentive while in a group besides speech, be open to learn different ways of communicating...I certainly had to.

I found using my past as a goal rather than a comparison was much more productive. It allows you the freedom to rebuild without needing instant achievement. Remember, no one adds 100 lb. to their bench press overnight.

I too experience unexplained setbacks after 3 years now so it isn't uncommon. They are further in between now and they don't incapacitate me but do require some courage and creativity and then they pass. Pay attention without obsessing and you will find workarounds to such incidents.

Trevor,

Welcome and sorry you are part of the club so to speak!

As Mark says don't over diagnose, it is very counterproductive. I hope you saw my line up above to Nick..learn to pay attention to symptoms, causes, patterns etc. without obsession. It is a very important line to learn.

Obsession kills motivation, it destroys our hope to improve and leads to constantly searching for what doesn't exist. Proper objective observation helps us to make the gains we desire when they are finally possible and how big a step to take, it exercises our minds creative and analytical abilities.

Take Care,

Bud

Last edited by Bud; 04-13-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Bud is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote