View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 09:04 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Nick,

I'm going to repeat myself about speech.

Stuttering became a big deal for me, like you I spoke easily and due to my moms influence I have a nice vocabulary....stuttering bothered me and made me withdraw and become quite.

The withdrawal eventually became unacceptable and I had to figure out:
1. How to work around it.
2. How to not worry about it.
3. I eventually began to let people know when I was having a stuttering episode why and to bear with me, if I felt it appropriate to the situation, not to be used as a crutch though. Mostly this set my mind at ease and gave me the freedom to be patient with myself during the conversation.

My work around became slowing my mouth down and THINKING before I spoke, something I actually value greatly now...I had to plan somewhat what I was going to say. At first it was embarrassing though I was the only one that was aware of it!

I actually put my foot in my mouth less now, even eloquence whenmisspoken is still a foot in the mouth.

My point is search for the bright side and make that a strength. Don't look at what you see now as a loss, make it an opportunity.

Give yourself time, you are pretty early in the recovery process, you will recover and move on but take advantage of the learning opportunities, you want to go to college, you are in it right now, the college of life!

Eventually my speech has mostly returned but I now catch myself, at times, before I say something eloquently stupid.

Take Care,
Bud
Thank you for this bud.

Yeah I try to remind myself that I'm still early on, and have tons of time for improvements. It's just scary having multiple injuries under the belt. Really praying for a full (or at least 90-95%) recovery, and it can be unnerving when doctors pause wide eyed and go "that's a lot of concussions for a person to have" and "yeah that's going to make things a lot more complicated."

Like when I had my first PCS rodeo, during my second concussion, I wasn't that worried. Took 6 months and was frustrating, but I had 100% belief I would recover. And I did. 99-100 percent.

But Now that I'm at 4, that thought just lingers in my brain. What if you've done too much damage. What if it's too late.

That's a really, really good point about the learning aspect of it. WHEN I do get to college, I'm going to be a much much much more mature man than I was had I not hit my head that third/fourth time (Hopefully I can still get some of carefree-ness back too, tho! Just with a little extra emphasis on protecting my head hahaha)
Just have to remind myself that the day will come where I can live freely again, eventually.
nickd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote