View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 03:06 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

nickd,

4 concussions is not such a big deal. I had over 8 by 20 years old. I had some struggles in college but I was also entirely self-sufficient since graduating high school. I've had 14 concussions by 46 when my more serious issues started manifesting. My second concussion at 10 years old (1965) was a severe concussion. Hospitalized 3 days due to slurred speech.

There was no help understanding concussions until 2000 or so. My neuro at 16 just told me to stay away from alcohol. I just had to tough out everything else.

My strong suit was nobody was scaring people about concussions with things like CTE, etc. There was no anxiety about every bump. Just a caution about taking risks.

So, count your blessing that you have only had 4 concussions and know to reduce your risks. But, don't worry about the little bumps. Of my 14 concussions, I have not counted any of the little bumps. Only those impacts when I knew I had rung my bell.

Move on. Stop looking for symptoms. Take things slow when you feel you are pushing too hard. And, try to learn how to do as much as you can by working around your limitations.

You will get much better. Often, improvements come when you stop paying attention to your symptoms and limitations. You have 'ah ha' moments when you realize "I have not experienced symptom 'xyz' in weeks."

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 04-15-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nickd (04-15-2017)