View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 09:03 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I think the biggest point is ignoring these contacts. They will happen. But, being anxious about them happening sets you up for a setback.

Understanding one thing should be a big help. The PCS brain is easily triggered into an anxiety response. It has symptoms that are very similar to a new bout of PCS. If you can learn to reduce your anxiety reaction to these contacts, you should do much better.

The brain is highly susceptible to suggestion. Thinking "Oh, No. I made contact with my head." or "I jarred my head." will set you up for a relapse. Then the brain starts a replay of the symptoms from your real concussion as a memorized response.

So, take reasonable precautions with no contact sports but go on and live your life. Bumps happen. They do not need to be recognized. If you get an increase in your tinnitus, try to ignore it and move on.

btw, If someone watched your movements through a normal day, they would see you do many things that cause a jarring to your head where you did not have a reaction. Walking down steps, sitting in a chair, and many other movements that you do all day long can have more impact force without any symptoms. Because, you ignore them.....

You may have a sensitive vestibular system that triggers that 'wooo....' feeling. Doing some vestibular desensitization training may help. The simple one is sitting in a chair and leaning forward and putting your head between your knees then sitting up straight and repeat.

I know that I have to be careful with certain movements or I get that 'woo..' feeling. I know it is not brain. It is inner ear/vestibular. If I stop for a moment, it settles down and I can go on without any problems.

I hope you can find your way to reduce your reactions. I know how annoying and frustrating it can be.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (04-28-2017), red90 (04-23-2017)