View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 05:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Lorie,
Welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter has seizures (sz.) I started having sz. when I was 10 yrs. old from a scar on the right temporal lobe of my brain. I've had 2 brain surgeries to help reduce my sz. but just like your daughter I have sz. every month when the hormones are changing and I've tried 13 different sz. meds but nothing will stop the sz.
When I was your daughter age it was really hard for me because of my going through puberty and all the hormones changing as I grew. What causes the sz. is the estrogen level gets high causing excitment in the nervous system while the progesterone level goes down and progesterone helps calm the nerves. You might want to try and put your daughter on the ketogenic diet it works great for kids and some adults stopping or reducing sz. The diet is high in fat but low in protein and carbs. I've been on the diet and it has worked great for me. Another thing you can do is put your daughter on vitamin B12 once a day it has done wonders reducing sz. for me.
Make sure you keep a calendar and write down what time of day/night your daughter had any sz. along with a description of the sz. by doing this he Dr. will be able to see a pattern as to what time of day/night your daughter is more likely to have sz. or what days of the month. Also I've seen many neuros over the yrs. and I found I was better of seeing an Epileptologist (Dr. specializing in epilepsy) and going to an Epilepsy Center. These Drs. are way ahead of any neuros. I ever saw in the past 35 yrs. and I'm on a lot less sz. med (AED's). Here's wishing you and your daughter the best of luck and May God Bless You Both!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote