View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 12:50 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default I'm scared of cars.

Alright, scared might not be the right word. Phobic? Terrified? Something along those lines.

I wasn't even in a car accident. My concussion had happened on the water. August 2014 - for reference. I've developed a phobia of cars, it's been ongoing for over a year now. Any time I'm walking outside - crossing the street or on the sidewalk - I'm completely panicked. Sometimes this escalates into a full on panic attack, if I think there's a potential I've hit my head (see previous threads - short of it being I'm unable to properly discern reality re: whether I've hit my head or not in a given situation).

Fear of serious injury /pain /suffering being outside of my control and permanent is where my panic resides. For example, if I'm walking towards a car on the sidewalk, I'll imagine the potential for catching my toe on a crack or curb, falling directly into the path of the oncoming car and being hit. Hard. I'll stop walking, and wait until the car passes. I have serious trouble crossing streets. I get angry. I get depressed. I'm overcome with anxiety. This affects me everyday when I'm outside.

I know I need therapy, but I can't afford it. Cognitive behavioral techniques help somewhat, but I can't seem implement them when I'm in panic mode. I'm in the middle of a day long panic right now.

Help?
clandestine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Skeezyks (04-25-2017)