View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 11:00 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default More expert help with genetics

Hi,

Just to update you, my sister and I are getting ready for our appointment at Oxford UK to see another professor in SFN who deals with genetics. We are there for 2 days while we have a number of blood tests looking for variants and full blood screen again. We have had SCN9a & 10 already which came back negative.

My biopsy showed an increase in nerve fibers, whereas my sister's showed a loss of nerve fibers but did show that fibers were re-generating.

I've today seen my local neurologist who feels this is genetic. My sister and I have no family history of SFN. This started for both of us within months of each other in December 2012. However, my 5 year old son has had complaints of bugs crawling all over him and feeling itchy. I am still trying to understand the genetics, as I thought genetic SFN would be passed to a child in an autosomal dominant inheritance. My father or mother have never had any complaints of SFN, nor my grandparents or great aunts and uncles or aunts or uncles. Its just me and my sister, so im presuming it can't be a sporadic thing as we both wouldn't have it.

Professor i spoke to said it could have been a virus, or autoimmune. Its so confusing, as one says yes it must be genetic if sister has it, then the other says well its not in keeping with genetic channelopathies as you don't get increased fibers with that. He then went on to suggest is in keeping with autoimmune, which IVIG has been suggested.

Does anybody have any clue. Hoping i can come back from Oxford with some answers!

Lou Lou
LouLou1978 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote