View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Methylation errors prevent nerve repair and maintenance.

B12 and folate have to be methylated in the body, to work in the tissues. If this fails partially or completely the body cannot function properly.

It is turning out to be more common than once thought (up to 40% now), and some
people posting here are finding they have some degree of mutation when they end up here. Most doctors still do not investigate this, even though it has been a decade or so since it was discovered.

The methylated form of B12 is called methylcobalamin. The methylated form of folic acid is called methylfolate. If one has one of the methylation mutations, these supplements can be taken to correct the lack and restore normal functions.

Here is a link to the information about it:
MTHFR Mutation | MTHFR Gene Mutation | What is MTHFR? - MTHFR.net

Your B12 level should be at least 400pg/ml.. Labs are still using the old values that start at 180. If you are calling you labs normal, look closely to see if you are being compared using the old outdated range.
Thanks Mrs D i will look into this.

I am wondering if anybody in my family has had this before but not mentioned anything as wasn't bothersome, i would have thought if it is genetic like my local neurologist has suggested it is, would fall in an autosomal dominant pattern. Kiwi suggested this can't be the case as there would be a strong family history. It is confusing, as the Dr's say one thing but it doesn't make sense when you look at it. I am worried for my 5 year old son who has complaints of SFN.
LouLou1978 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote