Thread: Headaches
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 02:03 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Vania,

The tenderness behind your ear suggests a spasming muscle, usually due to a neck strain or nerve radiculopathy. This is where gentle traction with neck mobilization can help. Then, it will be up to you to maintain good sleeping and resting posture so you do not strain that vertebral joint while it strengthens. That can take weeks to months. Avoid quick head turning. This can be a challenge if you give a lecture and turn to the white board frequently. Discipline is the key. Turning at the shoulders, not the neck can be helpful.

It will help if you can be disciplined to break up you talk time with colleges or students into 15 minute segments or so. Write down some notes after. It will help you 'put thoughts away.' Give your brain a chance to process and organize. Think of this like clearing and filing papers spread on your desk. It is easier if you do it frequently rather than let them pile up.

Carrying a stack of pocket note cards can help. Smart phones or tablets work for some as note taking apps.

Icing needs to be a routine activity. 15 on, 30 minutes off, repeat for as long as you can, usually 3 or 4 cycles is the minimum to help. An anti-inflammatory med or supplement can help. Omega 3 fish oil and high potency/concentrated curcumin extract with pepper extract are good for anti-inflammatory value.

When you give a lecture, try to avoid any memory straining. Use notes to stay on track rather than stress your memory. If you find you need to pause to collect your thoughts, you have pushed too hard. Try to think of it like juggling balls. You may be able to keep 5 balls in the air but you have to focus hard. If you reduce to only a couple balls at a time, then switch to a couple more, it will be easier on your mental work load. It may help you reduce your headaches.

Learning these skills will be important. With your struggles, even if you have a great recovery, chances are you will have a repeat in the future from a physical trauma, illness or even an emotional trauma. Having the skills will help you get past those times. PCS can become a very long roller coaster ride. With care, we can avoid the deep troughs most of the time.

As Bud said, pay attention and learn what your brain can do and make adjustments. There will be early warning signs if you pay attention to them.

btw, I was a math wiz at one time but lost my ability to do multi-step processing (too many balls juggling). I had to learn new ways to do multi-step tasks.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (04-28-2017), Vania (04-28-2017)