View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 10:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm going to do some intense pouring over of my genetic data...for lack of any other options right now. Just to give you an idea of what's involved when you test with an outfit like Genos Research...

To stay out of trouble with the FDA, they only report on your variants that have some publicly available and "trusted" information on them. They tell you whether you have one or two copies of the variant and then categorize it as Pathogenic, Likely Pathogenic, VUS (Variant of Undetermined Significance), Likely Benign, or Benign based on the overall findings of the available reports. They then link to all the reports.

I have 3749 variants with this breakdown:

Pathogenic - 34
Likely Pathogenic - 6
VUS - 75
Likely Benign - > 500
Benign - > 500

They also give you a helpful histogram chart showing the categorization of the available reports and how many reports are available. For example, the biotinidase variant was right at the top of the list because it had the most reports with 15, and the histogram showed all 15 reports were red or pathogenic. Everyone was in violent agreement that this was a bad variant. With other ones, you'll see some disagreement between reports on whether they're bad or not.

You can also sort them by population prevalence which is interesting. For example, here's one that that is only present in 0.180% - 0.238% of the population with four reports available, three of them saying pathogenic, and one saying likely pathogenic.

NM_001003841.2(SLC6A19):c.517G>A (p.Asp173Asn) AND Neutral 1 amino acid transport defect

And if I click on the reports, I see a bunch of gobbledygook, but look for some words in plain English that might help. In this case, "Hartnup disease" was stated which I can Google.

Hartnup disease - Genetics Home Reference

"Hartnup disease is a condition caused by the body's inability to absorb certain protein building blocks (amino acids) from the diet. As a result, affected individuals are not able to use these amino acids to produce other substances, such as vitamins and proteins. Most people with Hartnup disease are able to get the vitamins and other substances they need with a well-balanced diet."

After further reading, I see that nicotinamide or niacin supplements are recommended for people with this disorder. Maybe I'll add one of those to my arsenal.

Such fun.

As an addendum, I should mention that since I started taking biotin, a bad patch of skin I've had for about a decade has cleared up. Woohoo!

Last edited by janieg; 04-30-2017 at 11:12 AM.
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (05-03-2017), echoes long ago (04-30-2017), glenntaj (05-01-2017), Joe Duffer (05-04-2017), kiwi33 (04-30-2017), mrsD (04-30-2017), stillHoping (05-01-2017)