View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 07:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Soccer head injury - looking for insights

My 13 year old daughter was playing in a soccer tournament recently and things are miserable.

Day one the ball went out of bounds, my daughter bent over slightly ready to pick the ball up when another player from the other team tried to save the ball and kicked it really hard into my daughter's temple. My daughter was dazed and out of it but shook it off and kept playing. That night she had a black eye and a mild headache. She awoke the next morning feeling find so she returned to the field.

Day two, just a couple minutes into the game my daughter was running along another player when that players intentionally clocked my daughter in the head with her elbow. My daughter went down crying and bleeding from the mouth. This hit was on the cheek just under the eye. That night again she had a headache but took advil and seemed okay.

Day three she played to more games without injury and seemed fine. But that night she was crying in pain from a headache. We were out of state so she took advil and seemed better.

THe next day she seemed okay other than a mild persistent headache which was tolerable with advil. So we flew home.

She saw her doctor who said she had a concussion and just to take advil and tylenol until she felt better. She had a headache, sensitivity to light, slight balance issues due to dizziness, mild nausea.

Ten days after the first hit she had severe head pain the led to vomiting so we took her to the ER. THey did a CAT scan and she has a small subural hematoma, but was sent home with just advil and tylenol to manage pain.

Two days later she is again in SEVERE pain, vomting and we went back to the ER where she was admitted to ICU.

She is just out of ICU (Today) and on vicodine and tylenol to manage pain and zofran to manage the vomiting.

While is the hospital a second CAT scan showed the bleed in the brain was smaller than it had been a few days earlier and is healing. We were told she has Post Concussion Syndrome so I've been trying to read up on it but get confused. She is 15 days post injury and has a continuous headache since the injury. Last week her pain was tolerable with over the counter stuff and this week it was not at all manageable so that now she is on narcotics.

She is supposed to see a speed therapist in the next week or two for a cogntive assessment and follow up with neuro surgery in two weeks. IN the meantime they said medicate for pain.

She can barely function, gets nausea whenever she moves around so she is basically on complete bed rest.

Is it normal to get WORSE the second week than the first?
What about taking all these narcotics?
ANy ideas on when she might feel ANY relief?
Any ideas? SUggestions?
I have never dealt with a head injury before so I feel totally lost.

ANy advice, suggestions or shared experiences would be appreciated. IT breaks my heart to see her like this and I want to do anything I can to help her.
RugratX2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote