View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 02:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree with Made It Up.

Perhaps I read your posts wrongly, but you seem to have spent a lot of time investigating supplements (which I consider a good idea), but not so much time investigating prescription drugs (which I consider a bad idea). And your doctors have not been generous in the amount of time they have given you in discussing the options.

I think before going down the DBS path you should explore again your Parkinson's drug options:

MAO-B inhibitors, e.g. rasagiline, can have a part to play in symptomatic control, and may also slow down progression.

Agonists, with their longer half-life, may have a part to play, even though you have had one bad experience.

You don't seem to be doing well on Rytary. I think there may be some advantage in going back to levodopa/carbidopa and exploring as many combinations of dose and timing as possible, including the relationship with your diet.

As I see it, most PwP find it easier to get their medication right in the morning, rather than later in the day. It makes sense, therefore, to begin your investigations with your morning medication. Also, it makes sense to only change one thing at a time. So, as a first step, while keeping your present drug regimen as it is, I would ask your consultant what she thinks about adding a dose of immediate release levodopa/carbidopa first thing in the morning. This should be titrated up from 50mg.

You mention walking problems, but it would help if you can find an exercise that you can do.

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GerryW (05-03-2017)