View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 07:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry to hear you're going through all of this. Just so you know, much of what you're experiencing is common, so it doesn't surprise me that you're "here".

It took me years of steady work to get back to regular functioning, after my last concussion in 2004. In fact, I'm just now feeling like things are "normal" again. Actually, they're better than normal. They're better than ever.

Concussion/TBI recovery is a process. It's not always pretty, but our systems are designed to change as we go through life. When our brain is injured, it sometimes needs to "rewire" -- basically a learning experience. We all have to learn our ways through life ("you live and learn, or you don't live long," as they say).

Sounds to me like the worst part of your situation is the fear and anxiety around it. That sent me over the edge a bunch of times, but I was over-reacting to a temporary situation. My own "explosions" resembled seizures, more than psychotic breaks, but they were very much tied to my overall stress level. The more I got stressed about my situation, the worse my symptoms got. I wasn't doing myself any favors.

Also, prednisone is a problem for me - I can't do it. It puts me on edge, amps up my anxiety, and it turns me into a rage-a-holic. It also wrecks my impulse control. Not good. It might be impacting your frame of mind, as well. You may want to reconsider.

Basically, time is on your side. Concussion symptoms sometimes take a while to clear out, but they can. Even my persistent issues I've learned to live with and manage, so they don't ruin my life. They just make it more interesting.

Good luck with your recovery. Be kind to yourself and your brain. These things take time.
What happened: Sustained mild TBI #9(+) in 2004 when I fell down a flight of stairs and smacked the back of my head on the steps. Knocked out briefly, then bounced back and resumed everyday life, as usual. Then things fell apart -- lost my job, friends disappeared, spouse became terrified of me, money flew out the window, and I had no idea it was all happening, or why. Finally put things together in 2007, when I was researching brain injury for a family member. Have been actively working with a neuropsych and recovering since late 2007, with amazing results I never thought possible.

I blog about this at

Symptoms: fatigue, tinitis, sensitivity to light and noise and touch, insomnia, general pain, headache, attention issues, emotional lability, panic/anxiety, anger/rage spikes, confusion, difficulty hearing and understanding, slowed processing speed, limited short-term working memory, balance & vertigo issues, difficulty reading and learning new things, nystagmus and tremors when over-tired.
brokenbrilliant is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote