View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

bonnie,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. What you are experiencing is common. The doctors rarely understand this. I call it a subtle neck injury. It usually does not show up on x-rays or other imaging. I doubt another x-ray will show anything. Your injury is likely soft tissue that does not show on an x-ray.

A physical therapist or chiropractor can be of some help but the most important way to heal is by choosing to be disciplined with posture when resting or sleeping. If you struggle in a normal bad, I suggest you find an adjustable bed or try sleeping in a soft recliner. For me, the recliner worked wonders.

It was important for me to find that comfortable position that allowed me to sleep on my back without moving. I used a U shaped pillow to support my head so it did not roll or tip to the side. It took some effort and discipline to learn to sleep on my back. In bed, a pillow under my knees helped to keep me from rolling on my side.

A physical therapist can help with some gentle traction and mobilization of the cervical vertebra. No range of motion exercises until the pain and inflammation goes down. Not all physical therapist are good at this so don't be afraid to try different PT's.

Some chiros can help but you want gentle techniques. No 'twist the head and pop the neck' treatments. They are too aggressive for most. An upper cervical chiro may be worthwhile. Check the Vitamins sticky at the top for links to the 2 upper cervical chiro referral sites.

You should be icing your neck, especially after any treatments. Taking an anti-inflammatory (NSAID) can be helpful. Ibuprofen or aspirin work good but you have to be consistent. 200 mgs of ibuprofen 3 times a day is what my doctor recommends. I use aspirin and acetaminophen combined for any intense headaches.

Other than neck and headaches, do you have any other symptoms ?

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote