View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 04:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry to hear that. From what I remember in rehab, treating the underlying psychological problems (if there are any present) is crucial to treating addiction. He doesn't relapse, he's fighting the urges, so the problem is not there, but his need for a mental space where he can rest from trauma is still there, and alcohol is still regarded as an option - as short and as damaging as it is.

I'm sure you already know this, but in rehab the psychiatrist made a sort of "triage" after a few weeks to put people with severe traumas or mental issues on a separate treatment course, with a path towards treating the "double diagnosis" issues after the patient got sober for a longer time. If that is not done, staying sober will be a continuing struggle, as alcohol abuse (in this case) is not the cause but the result of the underlying issue. There was a special unit where they would go to after leaving the addiction unit, to help them with those problems (and sometimes follow up with further assisted living etc. for those who needed that). It was quite well thought out/structured.

Sometimes depression is a result from alcohol abuse, sometimes it's the cause. Making that distinction - which can only be done after a sober period - is crucial for deciding on treatment.

It seems clear the psychologist is not doing his/her job. Yet that's where the progress is, or should be.

As for anonymity... rehab for me was pretty far away, and I didn't go out much anyway (working from home, never going to bars etc). Yet it was amazing how many people knew me or knew someone who knew me. As it turned out, one of the nurses lives 4 houses from me. The resident psychologist knew me as her mother lives in the next street. One other patient had been to my house for a plumbing job as an assistant. There were others that I forgot. I can totally understand, with that line of work, that the risk would just be too great.

Finding a good psychologist is hard work. They seem to be unicorns. But they are out there, and I'm sure that one of them would love to help out DB, who clearly shows by staying sober, despite the struggles, that he is absolutely worth of further help. A good friend of mine from Scotland had a traumatic upbringing, and was in his own words pretty f-d up. He spent years going to psychs, with no progress (on the contrary). We all started to think he was never going to get better (him included), until he found a psychologist who understood him, challenged him, and was smart enough (my buddy is extremely smart, and was able to put up walls that were impenetrable for most). Today he is doing so much better, understands his own emotions, has a wife and 4 kids, success in his job, and cries when he talks about how happy he is he found help that could actually help him.

They are out there, and there is a solution out there. I don't know how to find them other then by trial and error (any local internet groups about mental health?). Maybe your GP could do a search too?
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (05-06-2017), PamelaJune (05-06-2017)