View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 09:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyn View Post
From the research paper:
"The results presented herein reveal potential protective side effects for doxycycline in the pathogenesis cycle of synucleinopathies that could be exploited repurposing an old safe drug."
"This data strongly suggests that doxycycline in subantibiotic doses (20–40 mg/day) would be enough to exert neuroprotection."

From the ScienceDaily article:
"This treatment could stop Parkinson's from progressing, and we therefore plan to start a clinical trial shortly."

Could this be another clinical trial worthy of a fast-track process?

Repurposing doxycycline for synucleinopathies: remodelling of α-synuclein oligomers towards non-toxic parallel beta-sheet structured species : Scientific Reports
Interesting that you feel this way. When I first read this article back in February I wasn't overly impressed. Certainly no more than with the dozens of other pre-clinical studies that have "cured" PD. I was surprised when it received so much press recently. When I saw your post, it made me go and reread the research. I still don't see why this study would call for a fast-designation on future research anymore than the dozens of other drugs, both new and repurposed, that have shown pre-clinical success. I also would have some concern about a treatment which requires the long term use of an antibiotic. What am I missing here?
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote