View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

red90,

Although meds should be a last resort, I keep some clonazepam and propranolol for just these situations. Propranolol is quicker acting and safer. I would use the clonazepam if I knew I was going to be stuck in an over-stimulation event.

If you do not have access to emergency meds, find something to keep busy with.

For a fact, the hand to your head did not do any damage or even cause a trauma that could trigger a relapse. What it did do was trigger a severe startle response with some delayed onset. It can be difficult to understand how the roller coaster of anxiety can seem to be disconnected from the triggering event.

Back when this was a bigger problem, I also had my non-med rescue protocol. I would go lie down in a dark room and play a CD of music that I knew would be effective at pulling my mind into that safe place. My favorite was Dianna Krall light jazz, 'The Look of Love' but I also could use operatic like singers, Sarah Brightman, etc. I found that lyrics were important. The words grab the attention. Most contemporary music has too much instrumental pounding and such that stimulates rather than sooths.

For me, I do best when I know the playlist so my mind gets into a flow. I have set up a playlist on YouTube that helps. I use this same protocol when I have insomnia since it usually has a bit of anxiety.

This was a severe problem for me during the first two years after my injury. I know how upsetting it can be. But, with discipline, you can find your protocols to resolve it.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anja 70 (05-08-2017), chasann (05-07-2017)