View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 09:22 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Okay, I'll go first. I would say that 0.9 is my very rough estimate of my Q score.

I would think that those in the early stages of PD (like me) would tend to have higher Q scores. Arguably, all of the currently available treatments provide only symptomatic relief, and they tend to work best for those whose symptoms are less severe (e.g. those in the early stages).

As you predicted, my focus is mainly on research, but it's more specific than that. My main interest is research in the areas of neuroprotection and neuroregeneration (i.e. research in the area of symptomatic relief is of less interest to me). This is probably a bit short-sighted of me, since I will be needing better symptomatic relief as my disease progresses. I guess the optimist in me is assuming that the neuroprotection or neuroregeneration research will be successful before then!

For those PwP in the later stages, I think that research in general might be of less interest, mainly because it's more likely that the benefits of current research efforts will come too late for them. But it's also a bit more complicated than this. For example, for some PwP in the later stages, I would think that neuroprotection without adequate symptomatic relief might not be considered a result worth having. So for them, the measure you've called "B" (perfect treatment) might be a bit harder to determine (in the future).
jeffreyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
johnt (05-08-2017)