Thread: Our Pets
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 02:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't think there has ever been a time in my life without a pet in the house, other than while away in the military!

Since I grew up with cats and dogs and myriad of other pets, it seems we always have had at least a couple cats and at least one doggie.

After our last dog passed away a few years back, we had three cats and I said at that time, NO MORE DOGS!

So, we have had many blissful years of having three kitty kats, one is mostly Siamese, one is a 50/50 mixed Siamese and one good ole Alley cat for good measure.

My statement of NO MORE DOGS went by the wayside Thanksgiving week last year. Last summer I was in our yard and spotted a dog on the edge of my property. The dog was a cutie, and I made the mistake of whistling to it and it came right to me. Well two weeks later and after putting signs up all over the the place the dog was "claimed" by the owner.

That is in June 2005, and even though we loved having that dog for two weeks, I felt relieved seeing him go and being back with his "family" and I was happy not to have the burden of owning a dog and three cats again.

Well, around Thanksgiving week last year, after dinner the doorbell rings, and I hear my wife yell, HI Shorty! (That was the name of the dog)

I knew immediately who was at the door, no not the people, but the dog. Evidently the dog was "lost" again and some neighbors at the other end of my development took the dog in. But after a few days, their dog and Shorty were not getting along and the Mailman saw the dog and said that he remembers seeing people at the other end of the development having that dog. (US)

So, my wife could not refuse the taking in the dog and of course I went and made signs up again in hopes of those owners coming back for it. I knew they lived in a Townhouse complex a half mile away so I limited my signs to that complex.

The signs were ripped down the next morning! I think the "owners" did not lose the dog but abandoned it! The vet said the dog was beaten, he could tell by the reflex actions to hand movements, and so could we.

The bottom line is we adopted Shorty, he gets along fine with our three cats Munch, Dillon, and Hidey, and he is so well behaved, loves to play catch Frisbee and lives to play with my grandson.........

Shorty is a Pembroke Corgi and I gave him a nickname of "Smilin George"

The photo is of Dillon (L) and Munch (R) sleeping on the sofa and Shorty last summer when we first had him for a couple weeks, with my grandson.

Jyes
Jyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote