View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

You want to sleep with your head and neck straight. Think of the position your head and neck are in when you are standing up looking straight ahead. That position should be the goal. No or minimal tilt of the head, forward or to the side.

The concept is simple. When you are asleep, the neck muscles that stabilize the vertebra are relaxed. It the head is in a poor position, this can put strain on the vertebral joints resulting in inflammation that can reduce blood flow to the brain and brain stem. It can also cause nerve inflammation than can lead to muscle spasms that can cause headaches.

I try to sleep on my back with a pillow that only supports my head so it does not roll to the side. It has no lift to my head. If I sleep on my side, I roll the pillow up so it supports my head to keep my spine straight.

If I do not maintain good sleep posture, my sleep quality will decline. I may even have stressful dreams from the reduced blood flow.

It would be worthwhile to ice your neck on a regular schedule. The Vitamins sticky has a recipe for making crushable ice packs at home. The Vitamin regimen is also worth considering.

Reduce eye strain by reducing the tasks that require constant focus or taking frequent breaks from those tasks. You may benefit from an assessment from a behavioral optometrist. Health Care Locator Custom has a referral system for the US.

Some need to change the intensity of computer screens. flux.com has a software that can do that if you do not have display controls already. Right click on the desktop background and select Graphic Properties or such. There is often a brightness slider under color properties. You can also change color temps and other variables.

When you reply, if you use the Post Reply at the lower left rather than the Reply at the lower right, it will not quote the previous entry. It makes it easier to scroll through a post.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote