View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 08:58 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Angry hypersensitive CNS vs SFN - Mayo vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba222 View Post
Welcome. Yes, the people with SFN, regardless of background, seemed to get loads of disrespect. Not sure if it is the lack of knowledge and/or hubris on the part of the physician.

I would suggest doing every test, regardless, since you never know about exposure in the hospital environment.

Yes, you WILL make a better doctor. More than half of being a good doctor, is ALWAYS believing and listening to your patients. The vast remainder is being able to say I don't know. The rest is communication and investigation.

I have had classic signs of sensory only small fiber neuropathy (SFSN) and have been to two top nationally recognized places and both said I had central sensitization.

I am not sure if I should stay at one since a well placed neurologist told me a diagnosis would not change my medical management. I think not PROVING your symptoms is very detrimental to future treatment.

As for the skin biopsy, keep pushing and I suggest trying to appear as passive and clueless as possible, so it is THEIR idea.

It is not you--it is THEM, their stress, their lack of knowledge, their exhaustion, yada, yada, yada.

Sorry and hope your symptoms get better soon.
Like you, I was told I had a hypersensitive CNS at Mayo.
I went to Hopkins last month and had my skin biopsy re-checked - it was totally normal but my neuro says I have SFN based on history and his exam.
It's so confusing. Doc says that my fibers may look formal but are not functioning correctly.
I have feet issues - toes can burn or feel cold and they will turn red if I exercise in the evenings or sometimes just before bed.
I'm not sure if I have erythromelagia too.
I also have frontal thigh burning and my left arm can feel badly too.
I'm 48 and otherwise healthy - possibly a mutation in the sodium channel.
Feeling your frustration.
Goosiegoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
JimJamJones (05-12-2017)