View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

All fats are a good source of brain food but Asprey claims that one can enter into a state of ketosis from just an overnight of not eating then eating some MCT's. Ketosis requires a true complete fast, not just carbs. The brain is the top priority for energy. If the injured brain needs more energy, it will just take it away from all of the other body systems. MCT's take hours to get through the ketosis cycle, not just a few minutes like he claims. "I drink his Bullet Proof coffee and feel an instant surge of mental energy" is due to the caffeine, not the MCT's. Add some placebo effect and he gets lots of great testimonials.

Consuming MCT's helps build the reserves in the liver but the liver has to wait for a call to release them. It goes not release ketones until all of the glycogen has been released from the liver and used up and there is inadequate adipose fat in the body to metabolize.

I forget all the details about MCT's. I researched them against Asprey's claims long ago. He's no different than Peter Fife. He takes a little bit of truth and builds a mountain of marketing hype from it.

But, the placebo effect can create a strong benefit. Studies show the placebo effect can be quite strong, especially when there is strong belief in a substance consumed or a treatment received. 60% placebo effect is not uncommon. It can out perform real drugs in some cases. Higher prices substances tend to cause a stronger placebo effect.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AeroDan (07-20-2018), JBuckl (05-11-2017)