View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 12:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know how much help I can provide, as my head injury wasn't as violent as your daughter's appears to have been, but I'll try to at least give you something here...

Head injuries are the most bizarre maladies that the body could possibly produce, and that's by a wide margin. The way people recover from them is equally bizarre and twice as mysterious... some people recover from severe head injuries within a few days, while others take several years to recover from mild trauma episodes. There's a lot of theories on why this happens, but unfortunately the brain is just one of those things that medical science does not know all that much about.

You can call that good news and bad news, because really you and your doctors (who seem to be very good, as they're taking a far more proactive approach than many doctors would) don't know what could happen with something like this. Your daughter could wake up tomorrow, or maybe a week from now, and be right back to feeling 100%, but then again it might take months or longer for her to get back to where she used to be. The key is to always be hoping for a quick recovery while remaining prepared for a long one.

It's a very good sign that she's showing tangible signs of healing, so find comfort in that if you can. As far as her seeming to get worse, it's not uncommon for people to experience more difficult effects from head injuries in the weeks following the trauma than they experience within days of the initial impact. I haven't done the medication thing, so I unfortunately can't give you any information there.

Keep the faith, it sounds like your daughter's in good hands.
PCS McGee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote