View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 09:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackf613 View Post
Lightrail11 I'm reading your bio under your replies for the first time, and I'm amazed at how quickly you returned to work following your accident. Do you go 0 to 100 in terms of going straight into full time work again?
Hi Zack (and thanks to Mark for posting the links).

The process was about 6 months. After a month in the ICU I "came to" in the hospital neuro rehab unit. I didn't know how old I was, what year it was, or who the President was. I couldn't solve a flashcard problem 7*4=? I saw PT, OT, and Speech therapists as inpatient and as an outpatient. Progress was relatively slow but steady. Eventually deficit areas (memory, cognitive processing, executive function) came back. After 6 months I was cleared to return to work.

I'm fortunate and blessed to have recovered. As Mark stated, I'm fortunate to even be alive. When I saw the neurosurgeon who performed the craniotomy for a follow up appointment after release from hospital he stated "I consider you my miracle patient. I didn't tell your family this the night of the accident, but I didn't think you were going to make it."

Best to all of you in your recovery journeys.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”
Friedrich Nietzsche
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.

Last edited by Lightrail11; 05-15-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote